Stara Zagora (Bulgarian: Стара Загора) is the sixth-largest city in Bulgaria, and a nationally important economic center. Located in Southern Bulgaria, it is the administrative capital of the homonymous Stara Zagora Province. As of February 2011, the city has a population of 136,363 inhabitants. According to Operative Program Regional Development of Bulgaria the agglomeration of Stara Zagora is the sixth largest in Bulgaria and has a population of 213,444 inhabtans.
Stara Zagora is known as the city of straight streets, linden trees, and poets. The city’s current name, Stara Zagora, appeared for the first time in documents from the Church Council of Tsarigrad in 1875.
October 5, 1879. Stara Zagora’s restoration from the destruction began immediately after the liberation of Bulgaria. The first symbolic foundation stone was laid on October 5, 1879 by prince Aleko Bogoridi. The city was rebuilt on plans designed by the Czech architect Lyubor Bayer, and became the first modern-looking Bulgarian city after the Liberation with its large straight streets and spacious squares.